Today I am thankful for a lot of stuff. Yes, today I have officially broken the rule I set for myself of being for ONE thing every day for a year.
It was a pretty awesome day filled with many things to be thankful for. At several times today I caught myself thinking that I had found what today’s topic would be. As opposed to leaving out some of the awesomeness I’ve made an executive decision to include as many of them as I can remember. I’ll do my best to list them chronologically.
- A great night of sleep! Last night was the first time in a long time that I only woke up once and felt fully rested by the time the alarm went off.
- Early morning biking with my boys! The boys were totally in when I asked them if they wanted me to wake them up early to go for a bike ride so I woke them up at 5:35am. Both in a good mood, we headed out for a nice bike ride on the island filled with some cool conversations and some great music. Gavin and I may have been jamming out to the Flobots’ song Handlebars while getting ready afterwards.
- The Bodeans. They’re a great band that brings back memories of chilling with friends in college. I was totally jamming out while listening to them on the drive to work.
- Going with the Flow. Attitude is everything when it comes to a drastic change in the day. All you can do is keep a smile and look for the best. And surprise, surprise, whether you think it will be awesome or horrible, you’re right!
- Unexpected Great News! Right after my plans changed I got an awesome phone call from the boys’ school. Turns out that Dominic is crazy awesome at math and they want to “double accelerate” his math classes… which would put him in Pre-Calculus as a freshmen! How cool to have an opportunity like that – if he decides to take it. I’m also glad that we started discussing decision making tactics yesterday to help him decide if he should do it or not.
- Time with Mentors. It’s not often that you get a chance to hang out with your closest business mentors as well as the founder of a crazy large business. Believe it or not, I did my best to not speak and just soaked in what they all had to say on many different topics. So much knowledge was shared in a very short time.
- My Dad Being a Jerk When I Needed It. To be very clear, I love my dad to death and he is pretty awesome. When I was younger I used to get so frustrated because sometimes he was such a jerk. Funny how that behavior was usually correlated with something that I did that was either wrong, half assed, or disappointing. I’d get frustrated with him being a jerk first, and then I’d start to realize what he was trying to teach me. He did it out of love to prove a point and help grow my values set. The reason I am thankful for it now is that I had to act like that to Dominic to help him understand the level of hatred I have for the word “can’t.” While I didn’t want to prove the point I knew that I had to in order to help shape his mindset and help him understand that worst four letter words in our household are “Can’t” and “Fair.” It is only now as a dad that I can really appreciate my dad “acting like a jerk” when I needed it, it is neither pleasant or easy, but it is sometimes necessary.
- Late Night Yoga Date with Becky. Becky took me to yoga after I had a chance to spend time with the boys for a while tonight. It seriously kicked my ass. I don’t think I’ve sweat that much since the last marathon. While it was a good physical beat down it was great to spend time with Becky doing something she loves.
- Dominic’s Idea to Help People. I’m not sure what exactly got this in motion for him, but Dominic showed me the first draft of a plan he put together to do a food drive in our community. As I asked him questions about it he said that he wanted to do something “change the world and help people,” he wants to “take on new challenges that I haven’t done before,” and “create and lead something.” He had the whole thing already laid out and as we talked through the strengths and weaknesses of the plan he’s going to put more thought it in and then let ‘er rip. How awesome is that??? It was also neat to see Gavin jump in and try to figure out how he could help Dominic on this project. Pretty cool to see the gears turning in both of their heads!