Today I’m thankful for random reminders of friends and family who’ve passed away.
Today’s post has been brewing in my brain for the past couple of days since I came across this at the store after Dominic’s concert…
My Grandma Lamping always said that even decades after Nick and I ate Nerds on her living room floor she would still find Nerds in the carpet. Seeing the throwback box of Nerds brought those memories back and I swear I could hear her voice crystal clear. How could I not smile at that?
Then I started thinking about all of the things that brought back memories that have comforted me and made me smile over the last week. Some are kind of personal and I’d rather not get into the reasons of, and others are just fun to throw out there to keep you guessing what the hell I’m possibly talking about!
- Easter baskets using metal bowls
- A bald eagle sitting on the side of the road
- A baseball signed by my little league teammates
- The Bruce Springsteen song – Ghost of Tom Joad
- Fishing and hunting stories
- The quote from The Shawshank Redemption “I have to remind myself that some birds aren’t meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the the place you live in is that much more drab and empty now they are gone. I guess I just miss my friend.“
- The Gaslight Anthem song ” ’59 Sound”
- Other people’s fear of reptiles
- Old Fashioneds and Friday Fish Fry
It’s kind of wild to think about how all of those things have popped in my head and, for at least a moment, I stopped to remember that person. While the person may be gone, they still live on in my memories and I’ll be sure to do my best to pass those memories and stories on to my boys.
Today is an example of why I’m enjoying this blog so much and why it is continuing to amaze me with the joy that it brings me on almost a daily basis. How many times has a memory like this flashed in front of me and had I not been paying attention to what I’m thankful for, it would have been there and gone?
It’s amazing how much there is to be thankful for when I take a moment to appreciate it!