Today I am thankful for self-reflection.
The past few days of training have been nothing short of fantastic. One of the ways I know this is because I’ve spent the better part of the day reflecting. Not taking action, not making things happen, but just taking time to think. Don’t get me wrong, in some ways this is the quiet before the storm. Thinking leads to action.
In the case of today I’ve been spending a lot of time focused on values. I’ve been here before, this is nothing new, there should be no surprises… right?
There have been a few surprises as I’ve been running this through my marble sized brain. The hamster has been putting in overtime on the wheel. I’m afraid my flight will be diverted due to the smoke coming out of my ears. This has been a fantastic thought process and experience. I’ve been working through my values. What are they, how are they defined? What I’ve come up with so far is a draft of them complete with examples and descriptions of what I mean in each.
Now don’t get me wrong, I know I am insanely far from perfect. As you read these values I’m sure many of you could point out ways that I’ve failed in them. Probably in each and every one of them. That’s not the point. The point is what are the values I should strive to live my life by.
And that’s where the interactive part comes in. I’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas of what may be missing. What have I neglected to add? What should be taken off the list? What should be changed? Please take a moment to review them and let me know your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback, good and terrible.
Here they are, in no particular order:
- Act with Passion and Purpose
- Anyone can go through the motions, but excellence is reached when living with passion and purpose
- Remember you always have a choice
- Make a Gift of Yourself
- Give with no expectation of receiving
- Give more than you think you can, you’ll be amazed at how much you can give
- Be present in anything you are doing
- Listen when others need to be heard
- The central stage direction in life is downward mobility
- In the end your life is not about you, it is about something bigger
- Mind the Gap Between Who We Are and Who We Are Called to Be
- No one is perfect, but we can all strive for perfection
- In knowing our faults we know ourselves
- Learning and growing are integral to closing the gap
- Discipline and Drive
- Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress we may find amounts of energy and power we never dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction
- I firmly believe that any man’s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious
- The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will
- God gave you a mind with the ability to imagine and dream – use it!
- Growth Mindset / Dream Big and Then Dream Bigger
- Anything is possible through thought, focus, and discipline
- The word “can’t” is not in our vocabulary
- God Gave Us a Mind, Use It
- When in doubt, think
- Natural curiosity is one of our greatest gifts.
- Be thankful for what we have
- Be thankful for our experiences
- Be thankful for what has made us who we are
- Be thankful for the present
- More complex isn’t always more better
- The fastest and easiest route from A to B might be B
- Enjoy the beauty of the desert and the forest
- Indifferent Flow, Non-Yielding Soul
- Stay true to our purpose but be ready to adjust your course
- Raràjipari is the game of life, you never know how hard it will be, you never know when it will end, you can’t control it, you can only adjust.
- Enjoy the journey, if truly appreciated it will be greater than the destination
- Do Right
- When facing a decision, do what is the morally right decision
- If you can follow only one rule, follow the golden one
- None of us make it through life without others
- Surround yourself with people you want to be responsible to and responsible for
- Your team should include people you would like be stuck on an isolated island with
Again, thank you in advance for all of your help. While today I am thankful for my self-reflection, tomorrow I will be thankful for your thoughts and input!