Today I am thankful for mechanical aptitude (& the internet).
Don’t get me wrong, I am definitely not a mechanic or technician. Not even close. But I am very fortunate to have been blessed with a pretty decent mechanical aptitude. Pretty sure it has to do with having it on both sides of my family. While I don’t know that it is genetically passed on, it seems like there could be something there…
The reason I am thankful for my mechanical aptitude this weekend is because of our dryer. It has been making some crazy squeaking noises and having some serious issues for a while. On Thursday night it finally started shrieking in a way that almost made all of our ears bleed. At various times in the conversation that followed included thoughts of getting it repaired (probably a hundred bucks or so) or buying a new one ($800+). I then decided that if we were going to one of those extremes I’d play for the win and see if I could fix it myself.
My mom will be the first to tell you that I have had a gift at disassembling things since I was a kid. She’d also agree that I was absolutely horrible at putting it back together. Seeing as we would either be buying a new one or having a pro come in to clean up my mess Becky was cool with me giving it a whirl. If it worked, great, if not, she would be happy that I had something to keep me entertained for an hour or so.
Armed with some tools and a positive attitude I went to town on the dryer. Next thing I knew it looked like this in our basement:
A couple of Youtube videos later and I figured out that this little guy was my issue:
The metal piece that sat in it was completely devoid of grease and instead of being perfectly smooth had been grooved and gouged. Hopping on line I quickly found and ordered a replacement part from Amazon (I LOVE that site!) and will have a new one in my hands for the low price of $22 within a week.
Seeing as we had several loads of laundry to dry I figured I’d try adding grease and rebuild the dryer to save a trip to the laundromat. So off to Menards I go on a quest for grease.
Re-assembly went fantastic and next thing I knew we had a running dryer again. Once the part comes in I’ll disassemble it and re-build it again.
In the end I was able to spend a couple of hours figuring out an issue on my own and having a complete fix for less than $30 and with less dryer down time than any of the other options. Not to shabby to save a couple of hundred bucks or more. It was also a pretty awesome feeling to know that I could figure it out and fix it on my own (& with the help of the internet). Had I not had some mechanical aptitude in my genes I would’ve been out a chunk of cash, had an unhappy wife, wet clothes, and probably would have been pretty ornery. Thanks mechanical aptitude (& the internet)!